Not the most exciting update, I have some more cool things coming, but I felt this was an important one. Since moving into the hangar a month and a half ago, I have been working hard to build the workshop where the restoration work can be done. It took seven trips to relocate all of the tools and airplane parts from my apartment to the new “shop,” which made utter chaos of what little organization I had achieved at home. It all turned into piles of boxes scattered randomly on shelves, but at least now it is all here.
The next step on my agenda was to free up floor space. Most of it was being taken up by a bunch of free wood I hoarded for future construction projects, but I needed the floor space in which to do the construction. I used some of the wood to build a bin for the rest.
Finally, after a month, the shop is in a place where I’m ready to build some workbenches! Only… A huge windstorm is predicted to hit the next weekend. Having freed up all this space, I now had room to fit a second airplane, which meant I could shelter an aircraft that would otherwise have to weather the wind storm outdoors. Within 3 hours of making the offer I had this lovely little 1946 Cessna 140 tucked in next to the Tiger Moth.
The storm passed with no real damage luckily, the Cessna moved out, and now I could get on with building workbenches, right? Not so fast! I got an emergency call from the previous owner saying that two of my wings were in danger of being damaged if they remained in storage where they were. So, one more expedition was mounted to retrieve parts from Abbotsford. This was a pretty easy job, easily accomplished in a day, and then suddenly my shop’s floor was occupied by a pair of wings!
That’s begging for a mis-step and a *crunch* sound, they had to be gotten up off the floor. But, I don’t like hanging them on a wall, it’s difficult to examine them and wall space in this hangar is pretty valuable, so I decided my first construction project should be a rolling wing rack. After looking at the wood I have and playing in CAD a little, I put together a very sturdy rack using entirely “found” components. It does the job and more importantly gave me a chance to learn how to use power tools such as my planer, sander, and circular saw.
Ok! So, now, weeks behind schedule… I’m finally getting the shop into shape. I’ve ripped down and prepared enough wood for a workbench top, which is currently under construction, and I’ve also finally bought a big rolling toolbox that will begin to make order from the chaos of my shelves. As tools move to the toolbox, shelf space will open up for airplane parts, which will free up more floor space, and thus allow me to build more workbenches and work stations, for the restoration itself. Phew!
On that note, for those of you still reading (thank you!) I’ve decided to establish specific weekend hours during which I guarantee I will be at the hangar and working. This way, if you want to come visit or volunteer, there won’t be any uncertainty… You will definitely find me at the hangar every Saturday and Sunday between 11am and 5pm. You will still need to reach out to me to get directions, unless you’ve been before, but hopefully a fixed schedule will make it easier for you to know when is or isn’t a good time to drop in. You are all very welcome!