Most of the parts missing from A17-370 have been in the cockpit. From switches and lights to instruments and gauges, almost all of the systems were removed a long time ago. I figured I had a few years to find what I was missing, but all of a sudden an auction opportunity in Australia and a new contact in the UK allowed me to check most of those items off of my list.
This lot really piqued my interest because it fills in just about every gap in my front cockpit instrument panel. It also included two venturis which I likewise needed. I bid a little higher than I intended but I figured all of the extra stuff in the lot would help offset that. I was more right than I could know, but more on that later.
This other lot was not well described, simply “a box if instruments,” but one of the last items I was missing was an altimeter and I was pretty sure I could see the back of one here, so I jumped into the bidding and won this one also.
Getting these lots home proved a real challenge, the auction company hired an art specialist to arrange shipping and their quote to me was several thousand dollars to have these shipped to Seattle. Luckily a friend of mine lives nearby and he was able to pick up the lots for me. The parts I need will be shipped to a friend of a friend in Sydney and then picked up by a Hawaiian Airlines pilot for the journey home to Seattle. I can’t get over the help I’ve gotten from people around the world on this project, and I can’t say enough how much I appreciate it!
In addition to the above I also needed quite a few miscellaneous cockpit items such as lamps, switches, junctions, and exterior lights to complete the night flying equipment installation. All of those came by way of a collector of RAF spares in the UK, who was also kind enough to lend his knowledge and experience as a Tiger Moth owner and restorer. Once again, I’m so grateful!
These are all of the items from the Australian auction, quite a few surprises here! I had no idea there would be a piston sleeve, an inertial starter, multiple compass correctors and a lot more besides! Quite a haul, but the real treat is in that second photo, resting on top of the P8 compass. See the little silver tag?
This is an Australian Tiger Moth data plate for aircraft A17-597! This Tiger Moth crashed in December of 1942 with only about 240 hours on the airframe, and it must have been a bad one because the RAAF converted it to spare parts. The airplane ceased to exist and frankly I would have expected the data plate to be destroyed. But somehow here it is, nearly 75 years later!
At no point have I indulged myself in seriously considering a second Tiger Moth restoration project, it will tax my limited resources to the max just restoring A17-370 and, if I were to restore A17-597 I’d be starting from *scratch.* There is no fuselage, no wings, no instruments, nothing. And because it has a data plate, its real value would only be in a historically correct restoration and registration as a type-certificated Standard category aircraft. All things I’m steering clear of on A17-370 for reasons of both time and money.
Most likely, someday I’ll find someone with a Tiger project that has no ID, and if they’re doing good work perhaps we’ll settle on a price so that A17-597 will fly once again. In the meantime… it’s quite fun to think that I accidentally bought a second Tiger Moth 🙂