Category Archives: Magnetos

Finally!

It’s been a long time since my last update, not a lot of interest has been happening on the project.  Mainly I’ve been clearing up space in the apartment and trying to set up a work area.  I’ve also built up a huge collection of tools and hardware, much of it from the Free section of Craigslist, and so a lot of that has needed to be cleaned and reconditioned before use.  It’s all good work and has kept me busy but… on Sunday I hit a major milestone which I have to share.

I have Tiger Moth parts now!

Tiger Moth Parts - Batch 1-1

Tiger Moth Parts - Batch 1-2

Tiger Moth Parts - Batch 1-3

These are the loose parts which were scattered around Cham’s hangar, mostly spares that either came with the Moth from India or were sourced/purchased for the restoration.  There are also some Chipmunk parts mixed in, once I’ve cleaned and identified those I will use them for bartering.  None of the instruments are likely to be used, so if you see something you like, let me know.

It’s so wonderful to have the smell of old airplane parts permeating my apartment (*ahem* “hangar”)… I can’t wait to start cleaning these up, identifying and inspecting them, tagging them for re-use, use as templates, or barter.  This feels like the first concrete step… after 3 months of non-stop work and over $6,000.  I am a very happy airplane owner 🙂

Parts Manual into Excel

What seemed like a very long but necessary step is now complete, I’ve transcribed the dh.82a Schedule of Spare Parts (1943) from PDF into Excel.  This will allow me to better track the components of my Tiger Moth and also make it easier to search for missing parts by their various identification numbers.

I’m going to share this document here, eventually I will add a Downloads section for future versions of this file and more like it.

You may download v0.8 of the excel file here.

In future revisions I hope to cross-reference each part by drawing number, add the Canadian parts and part numbers, and generally continue to build it out to become more useful.  Eventually it will be ported over to a database where I will keep images of each part from my aircraft, reference images for manufacturing new parts, notes on the condition and origin of each part, etc.

If you have any resources that might be helpful in further expanding this document, please let me know.